As the Happy, bright, uplifting brand - we strive to spread happiness and positivity to our customers as much as we can.
However - we want to shed light on the month of October in a different kind of way.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month - and we want to be respectful and honor those who have fought, and those who are still fighting.
Breast Cancer Statistics
According to Breastcancer.org…
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 13%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetime.
- In 2021, an estimated 281,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 49,290 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
- About 2,650 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in men in 2021. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 833.
- As of January 2021, there are more than 3.8 million women with a history of breast cancer in the U.S. This includes women currently being treated and women who have finished treatment.
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women. In 2021, it's estimated that about 30% of newly diagnosed cancers in women will be breast cancers.
- Breast cancer became the most common cancer globally as of 2021, accounting for 12% of all new annual cancer cases worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.
- A woman’s risk of breast cancer nearly doubles if she has a first-degree relative (mother, sister, daughter) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Less than 15% of women who get breast cancer have a family member diagnosed with it.
- About 85% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer. These occur due to genetic mutations that happen as a result of the aging process and life in general, rather than inherited mutations.
How We Plan to Help
This charity not only helps many women, but it helped someone near and dear to our own hearts; A longtime friend of the Happy Hippo family underwent treatment at Palmetto and BEAT breast cancer!
Those who purchased our Tickle Me Pink strain last year - made in honor of the cause - helped make this donation possible.
This year, we chose a local charity here in Idaho - “Stampede for the Cure”. While we wish we could donate more, we will be donating up to $2,500 to this organization based on Tickle Me Pink sales again.
How You Can Help
We realize not only women in Idaho need help, so here are some other charities that anyone can make a donation to:
We would like to end with a tribute to our Hippo customers who are true Women Warriors!